Monday, November 30, 2015

RedOx Reactions! Yikes!

Today we were introduced to another type of reactions in which the driving force is the transfer of electrons. Personally, I do not think that these redox reaction are any harder than the other types that we have learned.The only thing that it a little frustrating is that we have another set of rules to memorize in a day. I will provide a acronym to go along with the rules to help memorize them.

Redox Reactions:
http://sites.saschina.org/sabrinapx2016/files/2014/10/05-02_RedoxReactions_L-1lpckw6.jpg

General Overview of Today's lesson: 

  • Oil Rig- Oxidation is loosing; Reduction is gaining (in terms of electrons)
  • +2 (oxidation state) 2+ (charge)
  • If water reacts with an element in a problem, write water as HOH
In a Redox Reaction:
  • the metal replaces the metal or the non-metal replaces the non-metal depending on what type of element is free 
  • aka single replacement reaction
  • reaction based on reactivity series; the element replacing the other in the compound be higher on the reactivity series in order for it to react
 
Example Problem
2Al(s) + 3I2(s) -----> 2AlI3(s)
  • 2Al(s) has a state of 0
  • 3I2(s) has a state of 0
  • 2AlI3- 2Al has a state of +3 and I3 has a state of -1
  • that means Al lost reactions making it positive which means it was oxidized or the reducing agent
  • Iodine gained electrons making it negative which means it was reduced or the oxidation agent
Hopefully I will understand this well enough for the pre-lab quiz tomorrow because the lab sounds like it will be extremely interesting and I hope to be able to participate.
Oxidation Rules

Overall, today was not terribly hard by any means. I just have to memorize all the rules and I will be just fine.

Redox Reactions (video)

Quiz yourself
Redox Reactions


4 comments:

  1. Wow what a helpful post. The links helped alot. Good summary of the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information in your post was very detailed, and is very helpful in helping me understand this lesson. Definitely coming back to this one before finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of useful information, Megan! I wish I had looked at this before the test. There is just so much information here that you don't need to any more about redox reactions. I also saw the links and they were very helpful. Good job, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I wish I had looked at this before I had taken the test. You summed up the lesson really well and the links you have look very helpful. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete