Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Periodic Table Trends

Trends in Atomic Size

  • As you move down a group, the atoms tend to get larger. (electrons are being added to larger orbitals and inner electrons tend to shield the nucleus so the outermost electrons tend to fell less pull or attraction from the nucleus)
  •  And as you move across a period from left to right, the atomic size decreases. (adding more protons without much increase in shielding)
Trends in Ionization Energy
  • Ionization energy- the energy needed to remove an electron from a gaseous atom
  • removing an electron results in the formation of a cation
  • The energy required for removal of the first electron is known as the first ionization energy. The energy required for removal of the second electron is known as the second ionization energy.
Trends in Electron Affinity
  • Electron Affinity- the ease with which an electron many added to an atom, forming an anion
  • Increases as you move up and to the right.

Trends in Electronegativy
  • Electronegativity of an element is defined to be the tendency of an atom to draw electrons toward itself when chemically combined with another element.
  • Noble gases are not included


6 comments:

  1. I like the way you explained everything because I was fairly confused during this lesson. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for a different perspective. Definitely helps. This was the lesson that added that twist of detail that could leave you confused. I hope you did well on the test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice explanation of the lesson, Megan. I absolutely hate this lesson. This was the most confusing lesson of all. I was staring at the ceiling confused after she finished the lesson. I think you did a good job summarizing it. It may have helped if I saw this before the test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely helped explain this lesson because I was a bit confused, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this post really summarized this lesson, which I found pretty hard to understand, but this really helps! Thanks, and I will definitely be referring back to this for the final.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly may start using your blog to help me study because Girl you have outdone yourself. This is such a good resource for yourself and others to use. Thanks

    ReplyDelete