Monday, December 7, 2015

Finding the Limiting Factor


Limiting factor- the "guy" that runs out first
Excess factor- the "guy" that remains after the equation has taken place
Guy- Mrs. Frankenbergs name for the chemicals/elements in the reaction

Two approaches for finding limiting factor:


Tips: If you are given the mass of a reactant in moles use approach 1. If it is given in grams, use approach 2.
Work out both reactants as you learned in the last post. At the end figure out which reactant has the least amount of product, this is considered your limiting factor. The other reactant is considered your excess factor.  For example:

In this example, Nitrogen would be the limiting factor because it only made 5.7 g NH3.
The excess factor would be hydrogen because it made the greatest amount of NH3 (55g).

Some problems may ask you to find the amount of left over excess material. Here is an example below (number 4 is like previous problems and number 6 is the new type of question that refers to number 4):


If you need more help click on the links below:
Finding the Limiting factor 
Finding the amount left over

2 comments:

  1. I like the tip that you posted on when to use each method, but (and this is just me personally) I find it easier to consistently use one method. This way you only have to learn one method and it really doesn't have that big of an impact on your test-taking time. If we had done this unit earlier so that it wasn't almost on top of finals, I would probably learn both methods. However, as it is, I don't want to spend any extra time or brainpower on learning more than I need to. Great help links, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First things first I love the little quote type thing you had at the beginning it really made me laugh. Second I really like the little tips that you added they really helped. Also I really like the link that you added for finding how much excess is left it really helped.

    ReplyDelete